The following is a post from Peter’s wife, Katrina.
When I gave up dairy milk about 15 years ago I thought the easiest and fastest way to get a milk substitute was by purchasing one of those rectangular boxes in the supermarket. It was simple… I could pick rice, soy, almond and more recently coconut, hemp as well as a few others. Then I could select sweetened, unsweetened, plain, vanilla or chocolate. No fuss. No muss.
But, what I didn’t realize was that making my own nut milk is SO SUPER EASY and REALLY FAST! It only takes a few minutes and it’s fresh. Plus you know exactly what’s in your milk. No strange additives and preservatives you can’t pronounce.
The first nut milk I tried making was almond milk. You can find that recipe here. I love almond milk but sometimes it’s fun to have a little variety, don’t you think? That’s why I started making hemp milk with shelled hemp seeds and boy is it absolutely delicious! And it’s easy! And hemp seeds have so many health benefits. Here are just a few:
• A 1.5-tablespoon serving of hemp seeds contains five grams of protein, 86 milligrams of magnesium, 10 percent daily value of iron, 1245 milligrams of Omega-3 fatty acids and 436 milligrams of Omega-6 fatty acids!
• One of the Omega-6 acids, gamma linolenic acid (or GLA), is an excellent source of anti-inflammatory hormones that support a healthy metabolism and good skin, hair and nails.
• Like flaxseeds, hemp seeds contain all ten of the essential amino acids.
• It’s protein source is much more digestible than others, and won’t leave you feeling bloated.
• Hemp seeds contain anti-aging antioxidants such as vitamin E.
• They’re also rich in other minerals such as zinc and phosphorus.
Source – https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-health/hemp-seeds-health-benefits-tips-and-recipes/
So, if you’re looking for a super fast and delicious dairy alternative, get out your blender and your hemp seeds and watch this video. And, please let me know how your batch of tasty hemp milk comes out. Leave your comments below. I can’t wait to read what you think!
With love from the kitchen,