I’ve tried several store-bought vegan gravies over the years but most of them were just meh. So, I finally decided to create my own recipe. That way I would know exactly what ingredients were being used and I can control the amount of salt. (I found many of the gravies on the market to be just too salty for my taste.) And, I made this one gluten-free, too. YAY!
I’m happy to say that my experiment was a success! This gravy is delish and super easy to make and best of all… Peter loved it.
Vegan Gravy Recipe
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup finely chopped onions
¼ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup finely chopped carrots
1 cup chopped mushrooms
¼ cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
4 tsps. Nutritional yeast
4 tbsp. gluten-free tamari
2 cups low-sodium, organic vegetable broth
¼ tsp. garlic granules
½ tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1. Over a medium heat, using a medium saucepan, heat oil and saute onions, celery, carrots and mushrooms until soft.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, nutritional yeast, garlic and spices. Slowly add this mixture to the saucepan with your sautéed veggies and stir well. Keep this on a medium heat.
- Using a whisk, slowly pour the broth into your sautéed vegetables stirring until it is smooth and well blended – no lumps.
- Add the tamari.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and continue stirring for 8 – 10 minutes.
- If this gravy gets too thick for you, stir in a little additional veggie broth to thin it out.
- Because I prefer a “creamy” gravy, I took about half of the gravy from the pot, put it into my blender and blended it for about a minute. Then I added it back to the pot. This step is optional but creates a creaminess to the gravy that I really like.
Three additional notes:
- 1. You can make your own vegetable broth or use a store-bought vegetable broth in this recipe. Just be mindful of the amount of sodium in the store-bought kind.
- Poultry seasoning has no poultry in it. It’s just a blend of spices that I love. You can find it in most supermarkets in the spice section and it is either called poultry seasoning or Bell’s Seasoning. Bell’s comes in a little yellow box. The main ingredients in both of these are sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, ginger, black pepper, etc. If you can’t find poultry seasoning or Bell’s Seasoning, combine some of the above mentioned herbs together and add to your gravy. And remember that a little goes a long way.
- Remember to use organic ingredients whenever possible. I’m looking forward to making this gravy again and using a few different kinds of mushrooms. The first batch I made I used shiitakes and it was wonderful. Next time I’ll use a blend of several different mushrooms including Portobello, oyster and button mushrooms.
Enjoy your vegan gravy!